It’s been a long time ago since I’ve read ‘The Gift Of Fear’ by Gavin de Becker for the first time. This book has changed my life and this is why I want to share a small book review with you and hope it can change your life too!
I keep reading this book over and over again, and I must say I still have to learn a lot but I am getting there. I take every feeling I have about everything seriously even when everyone else thinks I’m crazy.
In The Gift of Fear, de Becker draws on his extensive expertise to explode the myth that most violent acts are random and unpredictable and shows that they usually have discernible motives and are preceded by clear warning signs. Through dozens of compelling stories from his own career and life, he unravels the complexities of violent behavior and details the pre-incident indicators (PINs) that can determine if someone poses a danger to us. The book will tell you how to:
- Recognize the survival signals that warn us about risk from strangers
- Rely on their intuition
- Separate real from imagined danger
- Predict Dangerous Behavior
- Evaluate whether someone will use violence
- Move beyond denial so that their intuition works for them
Offering in-depth solutions to people who are dealing with domestic abuse or workplace violence or who are the targets of unwanted pursuit, de Becker also provides unique insight into death threats, stalkers, assassins, children who kill, and mass killers. After reading The Gift of Fear, you will be able to confidently answer life’s highest-stakes questions:
- Will the employee I must fire react violently?
- How should I handle the person who refuses to let go?
- What is the best way to respond to threats?
- What are the dangers posed by strangers?
- How can I help my loved ones be safer?
The Gift Of Fear tells mostly about how to avoid violence by listening to your guts. But I think listening to your intuition is important in every situation, not only when you feel fear but also when you don’t have good vibes about a relationship, friendship, job etc. This book will tell you in small details when you should listen to your feelings.
I’ll promise you this book will change your life. Also here’s a few reasons why you should listen to your intuition.
- You’re better safe than sorry. If you are having a bad feeling or vibe about something. You should acknowledge this. How many times have we refused to listen to our intuition? Too many times! It’s never too late to start doing it the right way. Just simply listen to your guts.
- No one knows what’s going on in your mind. You’re the only person who knows what you feel, so don’t expect someone else to understand you. Just listen to your intuition. If you don’t want to do something because you had a bad experience in the past, you should not repeat doing the same thing.
- It tells you what you already know. For instance, you kind of already know you don’t want the job you just interviewed for, but it doesn’t seem right to turn it down. Your intuition will just give you a little push in the direction you should be going anyway back to job searching.
- It is trying to protect you. Generally, self-defense is important to us. That’s why fear is such a strong emotion. Even if there’s no obvious reason to be afraid of the small cut through the park you usually take to get to work, if you have a strange feeling about it one day, just go a different way.
- Not everything needs to be logical. We have to base our decisions on the information we have available to us, so a lot of the time it’s difficult to make a smart choice without filling in some of the blanks ourselves. Unfortunately, living life isn’t an exact science, and it’s unlikely to ever be one.
- Sometimes intuition is all you have. If that’s all you have then you have no choice but to listen to it. Blindly making a decision isn’t a good feeling, so it’s helpful to at least have your instincts to rely on when all else fails.
- Listen more, it will get stronger. Like everything else, if you practice you get better. Your intuition will become more and more reliable the more you use it. You’ll come to understand yourself better and figure out what your feelings mean in a variety of different situations.
- When you have no time to decide. We don’t always time to weight the pros and cons, so if we trust our intuition, we’ll be a lot more confident in our ability to make the right choices on the fly.
- It should help you in the planned risks department. A risk is considered a risk because you don’t know what the outcome will be. Using your intuition to consider a situation will just be another tool in helping you make decisions when the benefits aren’t exactly readily available.