Entrepreneurs and small business owners know that they have to be self-motivated if they want to succeed. Since they don’t have a boss pushing them to get things done, they have to find the internal motivation to make things happen.
For those of you who are working a 9-to-5 job (while climbing the corporate ladder), want to turn a side hustle into a full-time gig, or are even are thinking about starting your own company, the good news is that there are ways to supercharge your motivation to succeed.
If you’ve decided to make the most of 2021, here are 5 ideas that will help to drive your motivation to succeed this year.
1. Find accountability buddies
Just like your family and friends act as a support system for you, when it comes to reaching goals, taking action, and feeling motivated to succeed, I highly recommend finding accountability buddies.
- Whether you buddy up with a friend who shares a similar goal (like getting back into shape), or you partner with folks you met online (in a Facebook group or community), accountability buddies can help you stay on track.
- As an example, I personally formed an accountability buddy pod (of 5 superstar women) to help me stay accountable while creating my new online branding course for female small business owners – Inspiring Brands Academy.
- While my course is still in the works (and due to launch this year), these gals help me overcome challenges, work through problems, and keep moving forward each day.
- Just knowing that there are people who support your vision and goals, and are there to help you overcome fears or worries, it helps you to stay motivated to succeed.
2. Focus on the positive people in your life
If you don’t feel like you have enough positive people in your life, find some new ones. Only share your goals with those that are most supportive of you. And while you’re at it, let go of toxic relationships (or at the very least, distance yourself from negative types who bring you down).
- For example, if you want to lose weight, join an online workout program and (virtually) hang out with health-minded people. They’ll help you stay inspired and motivated to stick with your workout regimen.
- This idea also means getting negativity out of your life. If your friends don’t support you, why are they in your life? Take an inventory of the people in your circle.
- As Jack Canfield (the best-selling author behind Chicken Soup for The Soul) says, “Sharing your goals in life with others is an important success principle. Studies show that men and women who publicly shared their weight loss goals lost more weight than those who didn’t. This phenomenon applies to other goals too – not just weight loss related goals. The truth is that your chance of actually achieving your goals is greatly increased when you share it.”
3. Fuel your mind with positive information each day
Inspirational books and audio programs are fantastic tools to fuel your motivation and drive. Personal growth gurus like Tony Robbins, Brendon Burchard, and Gabby Bernstein are a few of my favorite thought leaders. Their books, videos, and audiotapes are jam-packed with inspiring stories, motivational tips, and practical advice on how to stay driven to succeed.
- The key to personal growth is to do it regularly (daily if possible). Set a schedule and stick to it. Even if you just do 15 minutes a day, the payoff will be huge.
- Even if, at first, the practice seems silly, give it some time. It’s been said that when we repeatedly think certain thoughts (such as affirmations), our subconscious mind starts to believe them, which ends up manifesting in our reality. So, if you want to become your best self and stay motivated, start working on your personal growth and mental development right now.
4. Act immediately
Once you’ve set a new goal, take action immediately! Your first task might be as simple as creating an outline or writing up a plan. If you don’t take immediate action, you risk falling into “analysis paralysis mode”, which is a state where there’s a lot of thinking going on, but nothing is actually happening.
- Often times, motivation will come after action. Making a little bit of progress can be the inspiration behind additional progress. The key is to do something as soon as you’ve decided what you want to accomplish.
- Similar to the Newton’s law of motion, “every object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless compelled to change its state by the action of an external force.” Essentially, this means that inertia happens if no action is taken. Well, the same is true with your career and life. If you don’t take action, nothing happens.
- It also helps to put ideas onto paper. By writing down your goals, studies have shown that you’re more than 40% more likely to accomplish them.
5. Dress for success
While we might be going for comfort over style lately (due to WFH life), there’s something to be said about making ourselves look presentable (even if we’re just at home).
- An act as simple as putting on real clothes can make you feel like a new person.
- Something mental happens when we get dressed for the day (and get out of our loungewear). We feel motivated, energized, and ready to make things happen.
- Even if you’re not wearing a suit or work attire, to fuel your motivation, I recommend getting dressed for the day.
Once you commit to your dreams, visions, and goals, your drive and motivation will help you overcome hurdles and become successful. No matter where you want to go in life, just remember that you are the driver behind the wheel. Empower yourself to make things happen and live the life you’re deserving of.
For more inspiring ideas, business branding and marketing strategies, and expert tips, sign-up for the Inspiring Brands Academy e-newsletter at www.inspiringbrandsacademy.net.
Join the discussion!